FEMA aid available for TS Debby damage
The Federal Emergency Management Agency, in conjunction with state and local agencies, is making federal assistance available to several counties in Florida affected by Tropical Storm Debby, including Pinellas County.
Disaster relief is available for residential or business damages, large or small, sustained during Tropical Storm Debby not covered by personal insurance, including money for home repairs, rental assistance, medical expenses, unemployment assistance, transportation or other disaster-related expenses and serious needs. Low interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration are also available to help with residential or business losses not covered by insurance.
Those making claims must first register their loss with FEMA by any of the following methods:
- going online to www.disasterassistance.gov;
- contacting FEMA by smart phone or tablet using the FEMA app or going to m.fema.gov or;
- calling the FEMA toll-free number 800-621-FEMA (3362)/800-462-7585 (TTY). Telephone lines are answered from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.
The deadline to apply for benefits is 60 days from the date of the declaration, July 3.
Please have the following information ready when registering your claim:
- A telephone number at which you may be reached
- The address where you lived at the time of the disaster and the address where you live now (if living in temporary quarters)
- Your Social Security number
- A general description of the damage in question
- The name of your insurance company, policy number and name of agent
- Your bank account routing information, if you want FEMA to reimburse you through direct deposit.
FEMA Community Relations volunteers are also going door to door in the community to explain this disaster relief program. FEMA staff will be traveling in pairs, will be wearing FEMA staff shirts and have FEMA ID tags.
Information on SBA disaster loans may be obtained by calling (800) 659-2955/(800) 877-8339 (TTY) or by going online to help in obtaining low interest SBA disaster loans can be found through Pinellas County Economic Development’s Small Business Development Center, 13805 58th St. N., Suite 1-200, in Clearwater. Call (727) 453-7200 or go online You may email the office at email@example.com